Monday 12 November 2012

It's Monday What Are You Reading?

Hello all!



I've managed to read three books this week!


The first was The Light Between Oceans which is a
heart-wrenching story about a couple on an island who find a baby washed up on the shore in a boat, and decide to keep her, after experiencing three miscarriages of their own.

They know the father is gone, but they later find out the mother is still alive and mourns the loss of her daughter terribly. What they do, knowing this, is a difficult turn of events that makes you wonder, what would you do? 

The setting is an island off the coast of Western Australia, where the author describes the remote yet magical way of lighthouse living. The characters are engaging, and endearing, and we share their heartache as they explore the dark and  desperate feelings of  loss, guilt, and betrayal.
A superbly written story that you don't want to miss.

I also read a collection of stories by Cecelia Ahern called Every Year.



 Most of these stories, as with all Ahern's books, have a disenchanted protagonist who learns to look at the bright side of life after a wake-up call. There are some clever techniques in these stories, such as unexpected narrators, and ambiguous settings, which made me smile when I realised what was going on. This book is a very short read but some of the stories, especially Mallard and May, will leave a lasting impression. 

After reading this, I couldn't resist downloading the new Cecelia Ahern novel called One Hundred Names.



The premise of the book had me at hello, in that it is about a tarnished journalist, Kitty Logan, who tries to recreate her career by following an article idea left to her by her boss. There is a list of one hundred names of people and it is Kitty's job to find out who these people are, and how they are linked, to be able to produce just one incredible article about their lives.

While excited at first about the mystery behind the one hundred names, I felt a little disappointed by the way the story went along.  The characters seemed to be just a hodge podge thrown together, and while there was a link between them in the end, it just wasn't a wow kind of link. I missed the usual Cecelia Ahern magic that sweeps me away when reading her books. 

Linking up with Sheila now, over at Book Journey.



Have a great week of reading and other adventures!


xx

10 comments:

  1. You're ploughing through the Cecilia Ahern novels. I loved The Light Between Oceans too. Have a wonderful week and happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm really loving the lessons in the Cecelia Ahern books. I only have about three to go and I've read them all! :)

      Delete
  2. I hadn't heard of either of these Ahern books. I'll have to look them up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Light Between Oceans was terribly sad. Everyone felt doomed from the very beginning. Sad.

    Here's my It's Monday! What Are You Reading?! I hope you will stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either of these two Ahern books...One Hundred Names looks tempting. Enjoy your week!

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if I've ever read an Ahern! Hmmm. I may have to remedy that :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Despite the last book, looks like you've had a great reading week! I am so intrigued by that first one. Here is my Monday post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting books - hadn't heard from either. The Ocean cover looks intriguing. Thanks for sharing, and have a great reading week (here are my reads: http://virtual-notes.blogspot.de/search/label/bookshelf )

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't really enjoyed the latest novels from Ahearn I must admit.

    Have a happy reading week!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    PS I still haven't gotten an email from you about your win - or a reply on facebook. If I don't hear from you within the next day or two I am going to redraw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no please don't! I'm not sure what's happening, but I have sent emails and replies and my address and everything! I'll have another go at sending an email right now! xx

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a message. You have made my day! xx