Friday 22 June 2012

Red Riding Hood - Film Love

On Fridays I like to share a film I've watched and loved in the past week. This one is not brand spanking new, but we watched it last night for the first time. The setting is wild and medieval, and the visuals stunning - how can you not love the red cloak against white snow and the dark wood of the forest?

 The story is of course based on the age old story of Little Red Riding Hood, but this time the wolf is a werewolf, and is someone who lives in the village. Red Riding Hood, or Valerie, is quite tortured trying to figure out the identity of the wolf, and I must admit, we didn't work it out before the reveal, but if you think about the original tale you should be able to at least eliminate some of the suspects. 



Valerie (played by the beautiful Amanda Seyfried) has two cute beaus from which to choose:
Peter played by Shiloh Fernandez


and Henry, played by Max Irons


Gary Oldman stars as the witch and werewolf hunter, Solomon:


and Billy Burke and Virginia Madsen are Red Riding Hood's parents (clever, mother/daughter match!)


Werewolves and love triangles seem to be a successful formula for films, and it was effective here too!


Gorgeous visuals, a great cast, an age old story and a mystery to solve make this film a definite one to watch! 

2 comments:

  1. I saw this movie not long ago and it was fantastic - I think snow white will be very similar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so! I'm just reading the book on my iphone now, and I'm right into it! xx

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a message. You have made my day! xx